Thursday, October 02, 2008

A Sad State of Affairs

Three doctors visits in one week. Okay, the third was my 6-week checkup that I just threw in to make it sound worse. I'm fine but two of our little ones aren't feeling quite up to par.

First, Ryan is showing some signs of reflux, so the doctor prescribed some medicine for him. Is it working? I don't know. Sometimes I think so, but then the next thing I know he'll be really uncomfortable again. And why was he awake for two hours last night? That's just not what he's been doing. I took his temperature last night to make sure he's not getting what Nikki's got. I think he's okay so far. Oh yeah, he weighed in at a hefty 11 lbs 5 oz. I knew he was eating well, but good grief. Poor Nikki has had a fever since Monday night. For a while it was hanging around 103.2 and Motrin wasn't doing much to bring it down. She had some spots on her tonsils, so I took her in to the doctor, but it's not strep. Could have saved that copay, but with the baby around I just wanted to know for sure. Interestingly enough, she has been nice to have around this week. No screaming, whining, begging, or demanding. I'm a terrible mother to say that, but it has been calmer around here. I do feel sorry for her because I can tell she feels just awful. Today she has acted like she is feeling a little better. She even broke out a princess dress. Hopefully she really is on the mend. Don't her eyes just look sick in this picture?

It all just makes me even more grateful to be a stay-at-home mom. In the parking lot at the pediatrician's office (at one of our trips there) I saw a mother saying good-bye to her toddler. The dad was taking him to a sitter, and I just thought that was the saddest thing. It would break my heart to have to go to work when my little one was sick. I know it's necessary for some families, and I am so very grateful that we are not in that situation. And I'm even more grateful that I'm not working when I don't have to.

5 comments:

julie said...

Poor Nikki. I think my eyes are starting to look the same, yet I have no fever... just a large belly. I am SO ready to have this baby. Thanks for commenting on my blog today. I have been keeping up with you and now you can keep up with us. Love you Susan!

Kellee said...

I love being able to be home while the kids are sick too. There's no substitute for mom when you feel sick!

JW and Alli said...

Yes, she looks pitiful - poor girl. That was a good try at a smile! Hope she feels better soon.

Kristen said...

I hope you guys recover soon. I HATE trips to the doctor. But I know what you mean about taking care of the kids. Feel better soon!!!

Eileen and Chuck said...

Elder Holland's phrase that 'the dark circles under the eyes of young mothers resemble the state of New Hampshire' comes to mind! Hang in there, Little One--this, too, shall pass, and all too quickly! Good health soon to all.