Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas Cookies

On Saturday I decided I was ready to make Christmas cookies, and the girls didn't want to have anything to do with it. I was a bit surprised, but I thought -- Fine. So I did it myself, and I enjoyed it so much I made 5 different kinds. My Grandma Bass used to make a bunch of different kinds of Christmas cookies, but it seems like I didn't care for her variety very much. I think just my dad liked them all. But I have her cookie tin, so I thought I would fill it up this year. I made sugar cookies all by myself (they aren't pictured), and it was the easiest and cleanest process I have ever had without little fingers dripping icing everywhere and messing up the shapes. I also made lemon bars, no bakes, apple-cinnamon oatmeal bars, and lady fingers (or Mexican wedding cookies, Russian tea cakes, sandies, or I like Hannah's name best -- powdered sugar cookies). I guess it was kind of a grinchy thing to do it by myself and exclude my kids from even icing the sugar cookies, but my afternoon went so smoothly! And they did enjoy the results.


4 comments:

Kellee said...

Those powdered sugar ones are my favorite! Could you e-mail me the recipe? I know that's a pain, so if you don't I'll find one on-line. We are doing cookies tonight and I also dread the mess with 8 hands, 40 little fingers that will be all over it :)! But, it makes fun memories, right?

All of your cookies look wonderful!

Kristen said...

Those look so yummy!!! I love that picture of Hannah. I don't think she missed out one bit, from the looks of things!

Kim said...

Where did you find the energy to all that?! I didn't know people actually attempted baking more than one type of cookie in a 24hr period. They look awesome! I'll go eat my Chips Ahoy & take a nap now....

Mike and Sherrie said...

And boy were they good! Susan is quite a baker. I was so happy to see her arrive with cookies when they came for Sunday dinner. She was the first to provide us with delicious treats this year. -Sherrie