Wednesday, December 03, 2008

K9 Web Protection

We have a great internet filter that I thought I would share. It's free, so I didn't know how good it would be when we first got it, but we have had it for over a year now and it really works well. It doesn't slow down our internet like I thought a free filter would. I was thinking about it this morning because I was trying to see a video that a friend had posted on her blog, but it was blocked from my computer because it was on Youtube. Of course you can change the settings to be whatever you want them to be. Occasionally I will adjust the settings to look at something someone suggests on Youtube, but I really like that my kids can't just get on there and look at what they want (they don't surf the internet by themselves yet, but they will someday).

It's called Blue Coat K9 web protection. There is a version for sale for businesses, but they offer a free version to families for home use. They even have a new beta version available for Mac users. The internet is wonderful, but we definitely need to protect our families. Anyway, thought I would share something that we found that is working for us.

4 comments:

Kellee said...

Thanks! We always lock the computer if Joe and I aren't home, but we don't have any protection if the kids accidentally (or intentionally) find something inappropriate.

JW and Alli said...

Thanks for the info. Our free filter DOES slow down our internet and it is driving me crazy! I'll have to have JW look into that one. :)

Kristen said...

Thanks for the tip!!!

Kim said...

We use the same one & love it!