Thursday, December 18, 2008

What a terrible hiding place

The other day I had gone shopping just before getting the girls from school and hadn't put everything away yet. They were in the kitchen getting a snack and I noticed there was a bag right in front of them that had a couple little Christmas presents for them in it. I snatched it up really quickly and asked if they saw what was in the bag. They said they didn't, and I ran it upstairs and hid it in Nate's closet. When I came back down they kept asking what it was, so I told them it was a present for them. Hannah asked me where I hid it, and I gave her a surprised look and said, "I'm not telling you that." So she explained she wanted to know where I put it so she wouldn't accidentally come across it. If any other child had said that to me, I would have said --yeah, right! But the thing is, I really believe her. Then yesterday, I asked Hannah to gather up all the laundry and take it down to the washer. I completely forgot that we have ALL of the Christmas presents wrapped and hidden in Nate's closet. That small bag that I had thrown in there the other day was under the dirty clothes basket, so she almost HAD to have seen it. I asked her later if she had seen any presents in there, and she told me she knew there were some presents in there so she just looked at the clothes. She didn't look around. Hmm .... Maybe I'll just stuff those presents in her stocking and see what she has to say about Santa after that. I'm just about ready to be done with the jolly old man anyway. I want to give my children presents. Why should he get all the love and gratitude? Because you know that Nikki doesn't care about anything else except what Santa is bringing no matter how much we have talked about the Savior and doing things for other people this year.

4 comments:

Kellee said...

I know what you mean. I was glad to tell Karoline and I sometimes wish I could tell the others so we could focus more on Christ too, but the magic of it is so much fun, that I always resist. She's not TOO young to know, I guess :) It will be interesting to hear how it all works out.

JW and Alli said...

I understand your pain! For Emma, Santa is over. But for Lexi - she is naive, sweet, innocent and the "magic" is fun for her. But I often think why do we work so hard to keep Santa alive?

Kim said...

Gary & Elizabeth are giving the 'big' present from them & Santa's bringing a smaller something....why should he get all the glory?! I agree! Good luck!

Mike and Sherrie said...

Mike & I always give them gifts from us and let Santa give the little things or maybe one or 2 toys. That's the only way I can get organized with my curious kids. I wrap all of the gifts (from Mike & me) and put them under the tree. That way I only have to hide a few things that SC brings.