Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Now what?


By some miracle, two of the three vegetable plants I put in one of my flower beds are actually producing vegetables! (The poor bell pepper is actually underneath a plant that I had no idea would grow into a tree with huge leaves. I thought it was a vine that would grow up the trellis against the wall. Whoops!) Anyway, so I have a couple of tomatoes coming along, and I think a squash plant has to be the best plant for my garden ever. I have maybe watered it a handful of times, and I did get some fertilizer on it once, but despite my unintentional efforts to kill it -- we have squash! Now, .................. what do I do with it? I tried a recipe with this squash in the picture the other night, but I don't think I want to try that one again. I have at least two more that are almost ready to harvest, and I need something better to do with them than fry them up in a bunch of butter, which is what my southern-upbringing instincts tell me will taste the best.

So, what do you do with squash? I need some recipes and cooking tips. PLEASE!!

7 comments:

JW and Alli said...

I have two recipes that I like with Yellow squash - one is stirfry. I think it tastes great in stirfry! Another is a pasta dish - Sherrie actually gave it to me. You grate it up, simmer it til soft, then add heavy cream, chicken pieces, penne noodles, and feta cheese. It is one of my all time favorite meals. If you want the exact recipe I'll email it to you. Wish my squash plant was producing, it only flowers.

Kristen said...

I have several recipes! I'll have to email them to you. :) Beautiful squash, by the way!

Kristen said...

Oh, one thing we like to do (and this works on just about any veggie, including canned or frozen, but frozen ones need to be thawed first) is mix a packet of onion soup mix with about 2 Tbsp. olive oil and 1/3 or so cup of water and pour them over whatever vegetable or mixture of vegetables we want (we love brussel sprouts) and then bake them at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until tender. (It does take longer if they are fresh veggies.) Anyway, its quick and easy and YUMMY!

julie said...

Mom puts it in zucchini bread. And it is uh uh good! I'll have to get her to give you her recipe. I can't wait to see you next week!

Brigette Little said...

Saute them with a little olive oil, garlic salt, chili powder, bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, whatever. Add some fresh chopped tomatoes and serve over pasta. One of our new favorites!

Chris and Molly said...

Well susy-q, I don't really have a "recipe" but I'll tell you what I eat a lot, heat some olive oil on low heat in a frying pan (no you are not gonna fry it) slice up your squash (and zucchini if you have it) into thin slices and just throw it in the pant w/ the olive oil. Then i add salt, pepper, some butter and slices of onion (you can leave out the onion if you don't like it) cover it and stir every once in awhile and keep an eye on it, when it starts to kind of fall apart its ready, you can add butter salt and pepper to taste - this sounds simple but i LOVE IT! I eat it almost every other day as a side for dinner or lunch.

Susan said...

Thanks guys! I think I might actually get excited about picking that squash. Maybe I'll start watering it and see if I can get a few more to grow. :) Alli, I actually tried that recipe from Sherrie but I tried to do a substitution so I didn't have to use heavy cream -- I'll use the heavy cream next time. My kids love stir fry (where did they come from?), and I never would have thought to put squash in the zucchini bread recipe. All of your ideas sound good to me, well at least better than squash has ever sounded before.