Wednesday, February 09, 2011

I know I shouldn't complain, but...

I remember Chuck saying about me once that if I'm complaining then things are going pretty well. It's just when I stop whining that something is usually really wrong. I don't know if that's always true, but I'll accept it today because then I have permission to whine. :) Nate called last night and asked how I felt about him staying in Michigan another week. Do I really have a say in that matter? I appreciate him checking on how I am handling things with him gone, anyway. We will be okay with him gone, but he'll miss Valentine's, Hannah's birthday, and Nikki's gymnastics meet this weekend. He's been traveling a lot, but we have at least had him home on the weekends, so this weekend will be strange. Then, he was already scheduled to be gone the last week of February, and I'm not sure if that will change or not. So, in one breath I think about how it really stinks to have him gone for two or three weeks when I was just expecting 5 days. Then I think about Kim, whose husband has been deployed for months. Okay, so three weeks really is just a drop in the bucket. Or I think of Nate's brother who is in the process of selling his home because he has been out of work for a while. This really is a blessing that Nate has so much work that when he is in Michigan he is working close to 80-hour weeks and gaining some great new experience. And I really can see the blessing in it as long as I can look past the kitchen counters that I can not for the life of me keep clean. Or get to bed on time, which is so hard for me to do without him home. Thank goodness for modern technology that allows us to stay in contact with him everyday. One more reason I shouldn't complain. Also, one perk is that I can cook breakfast for supper every night this week and the kids will love it. :)

8 comments:

Kim said...

Ok, this is going to be a long comment...Sometimes you've got to get it out! I totally understand. I have another (private) blog for that; it's more of a journal for my rantings...and special blessings. To be honest, I think it's harder in a way with Nate coming & going. Since Josh has been gone for so long, we have our little groove. Sometimes it frustrates me that I'm used to him being gone. It shouldn't be like that. Then I have those realizations that I am not doing this alone. I am being held up in every way by my Heavenly Father. Ok, warm & fuzzy aside...what is it about those kitchen counters?! I really can't keep up on the cleaning end of it. By the time the kids are in bed, I'm exhausted! Well, enough ranting here...I'm going to go sweep up cheerios.

Kellee said...

Oh Susie Q! Let's have a Girl's Night and make you feel better! Somehow we'll get over the 2,000 miles thing. Need an ice cream Skype party?

Susan said...

That would be awesome, Kellee! Are you off work tonight? We just got a computer with a webcam, and I haven't ever tried Skype before so that would be really fun!

Kim said...

I've heard you can 3-way skype. We can have a big ice cream party! I'm in!

julie said...

I love ice cream too...

Kellee said...

Can we do a 4-way skype??? That would be AWESOME! I've actually never done it. Our laptop has a camera but do I need anything else? We can do either Saturday or Sunday. Let me know what time and we'll do it!

If the skyping doesn't work for 4, we can do the chat thing again and eat ice cream anyway :)

Brigette Little said...

I would love to join in, too, but my husband is still out of country, so I'll be running everybody everywhere tonight. I totally get it, Susan! Oh - and I can never get to bed on time when Greg is gone, either!

Susan said...

I wish I could be home with you for Valentines Day. I am sorry I have to be away so much. I love you very much! Good news is I think I will get two weeks straight at home after this week! Yahoo!
Love,Nate