Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Morning dispositions

This morning was pretty typical around our house. I woke Hannah up to get ready for school, and within about two minutes of getting out of bed she was her cheerful little self. As she was in the bathroom brushing her teeth and hair I could hear her humming. While at first it made me cringe a little bit because I didn't want her to wake up Nikki, I decided it was more important to just let her be happy rather than harp on her for singing in the morning. She really is a great example to me in the mornings, and it always makes me feel better when I see her so happy.

Then, Nikki actually slept in this morning and didn't get up until about 10 minutes after Hannah had gotten on the bus. She came stumbling out of her room carrying her blanket trying to walk with her eyes open only wide enough not to run into anything. So I picked her up, and she snuggled up with me so sweetly for a couple of minutes. I took advantage of that because I knew it wouldn't last very long once she really opened her eyes. She mumbled that she was hungry, so I got her some cheerios. Then she got upset that she had to use the bathroom in the middle of her bowl of cereal and said, "Why do I always have to go to the bathroom in the morning!?" That was when her true morning colors started to show. She complained the whole time she was in the bathroom because she didn't want to go in alone, she didn't want to wipe, she didn't want to wash her hands, she didn't want to turn the lights out. On her way back to the kitchen she was still mumbling about something and whipped out a beautiful cartwheel. She looked at me and saw me smiling, so she gave me a pretty good scowl. Thankfully, by the time she got through breakfast she was feeling better, and we were able to get ready for preschool with no problems or complaining.

I just love them both so much. They are both wonderful in their own different ways -- well, Nikki is wonderful about 20 minutes after she wakes up. =)

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I think that is so funny and cute! I'm always amazed at how different each one is.

MG is the one that you need to immediately find something to eat and drink. If you don't, she's ill as a hornet. My grandma says my dad got the nickname "smiley" (sarcastically of course) because as soon as he woke up you'd better have food ready to put in or he screamed. :) Merry Grace is the happiest kid, if she gets fed first thing. But if not...watch out. At least I know where she gets if from.

Susan said...

I know just how Merry Grace feels! I'll admit it -- Nikki gets all her morning grumpiness from me. I really have worked on it, and I hope I'm not as bad as I used to be, but I know I could always use more improvement.