Sunday, September 09, 2007

Recovery

Nate deserves an award for how well he has handled everything this weekend. He has been a fabulous nurse and just taken such good care of me. Last night we were supposed to feed the missionaries, so he cooked a fabulous roast with awesome alfredo mashed potatoes. The missionaries were very impressed that he had done everything himself -- I was too! I couldn't chew anything but his meat was really tender, so I just had some that was cut up enough to kind of slide down. Oh, it was so good! And of course, the kitchen looked great when he was finished. He gave the girls baths last night, cut the grass, and got me some movies from the library. A cute little girl at church today asked me why I married someone so tall. I do like his height, but there are so many more great things about him that make our height difference seem so unimportant.

When I came home on Friday, Nate put on Pride and Prejudice for me to watch. I just love that movie! It was the perfect timing for it, too, because the girls got bored with it and left me alone. And then I kept dozing in and out, being under the influence of anesthesia and pain medication. But since I have watched it so many times before it didn't matter if I missed a few parts of it. I think Mr. Bennett is my favorite character. He just makes me laugh. I love his responses when Mrs. Bennett is trying to tell him all about the ball where they met Mr. Bingley. "Would that he had sprained his ankle in the first dance!" And then she tries to tell him about the gowns the Ms. Bingleys were wearing and he says, "No lace! No lace, I beg of you Mrs. Bennett. No lace!" Oh, there are more I could quote, but I think that gives enough of the idea that I love that movie.

I went to church today and felt silly looking like a chipmunk. It was good to be there, though. I have felt better each day so far, and I just hope I didn't overdo it at church today. It feels like my cheeks are stuck in one position, so I felt kind of rude because when I tried to smile at someone I don't think they could tell. I think I should be alright because I was due to be able to have some more medicine a couple of hours ago, but I don't need it right now. That's nice.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

How nice to have such a good nurse. Sometimes you just need a little TLC. Sounds like Nate is handling things marvelously. :)

I LOVE that movie! I hope you're on the road to recovery. I know its an ordeal, but hopefully things are on the mend.

I need to have the same thing done. I'm not really excited about it, but you make it sound much better than I feared. :)

Kellee said...

I got mine out when Karoline was a baby. I was still nursing and it was a great recovery because the medicine made her sleepy too. We both slept a lot.

I love Pride and Prejudice too! That was one of the first books on tape I listened to on my paper route. The new Pride and Prejudice was good, but I still love the old one best.

Dracula was one of my favorite books!

Hope you're all better soon.

Susan said...

It's not too bad, but surgery is still surgery -- no fun.

The great thing about the 6-hour version of P&P is that the dialogue follows so closely with the book. I love that.

Dracula was the best horror book for me! I was never scared, and I liked that, but I kept wondering what was going to happen next. Nate read it before I did, and I kept asking him if Dracula was going to do this or that. A good read.