Saturday, September 08, 2007

Under the Knife

I think modern medicine is just amazing. I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed yesterday. I went in for a consultation on Thursday, and as I was setting up the time for surgery, the receptionist said they had just had a cancellation and I could have it done the next day. Whoa! I jumped on it, though, because it meant Nate could just take off Friday, and then I could hopefully be recovered enough by Monday to make it on my own.

The worst part was getting the IV in place. I faint around needles anyway, but I thought if I wasn't looking at it I would be alright. The only thing was that she had a hard time getting it in. She fished around in my arm for a while, and then the world turned green for me. It made me think of Dad. He would always talk about how the nurses had such a terrible time finding his veins. I even remember him saying they would even try the veins in his knuckles. Ugh, I'll move on -- just thinking about it makes me feel sick. A few minutes later, I asked her what she had given me that made my hands and feet tingle. She said that it was because my heart rate had dropped so much when I almost fainted and the blood wasn't circulating quite normally yet. I don't think she really wanted to answer me. Kind of a scary thought to think that my heart stops when I faint. Just hadn't thought of that before.

I think everything else has gone really well. I woke up in the car while Nate was in CVS getting my prescriptions filled. He has gotten a chuckle or two out of the questions I kept reasking. Yesterday I couldn't sit up or walk around without feeling faint and nauseous. That's going away, although I think I will wrap this up pretty quickly and go lay back down. I'm almost done reading Dracula, and this gives me a good excuse to just veg and see how they catch him!

No comments: