Thursday, July 31, 2008

Lunchtime

This always seems to happen to me. At 11:30 when I am just about to break out the pb& j for lunch, the phone rings and the realtor wants to schedule a showing in 30 minutes. Thank goodness I hadn't actually made the kitchen any messier yet, and the girls aren't too busy eating to help clean up. It's pretty amazing the amount of cleaning that can be done in 30 minutes and even Nikki is usually helpful when someone is coming to look at the house. But then comes the trouble. I'm pulling out of the driveway at noon with completely hungry children and I'm starving myself and we have at least an hour to kill. No, I'm not supermom and I can't pack a lunch while trying to do the dishes at the same time. And I don't care for a granola bar and goldfish for lunch. Of course the girls have the perfect solution to the problem -- McDonald's! Ugh. I don't want to be a terrible mother and take my children out for fast food every time we're out during the lunch hour. I feel so guilty every time I order chicken nuggets and french fries. But what am I supposed to do? Today I compromised with a side order of mandarin oranges at Wendy's. What I really hate is how much I enjoy eating fast food, and I hate watching my girls happily devour a bunch of grease. And just think, this whole problem could be solved by a simple offer on our house! Okay, maybe better housekeeping and planning skills would fix it, too.

2 comments:

JW and Alli said...

My house and pbjs are always open for lunch. I was gone yesterday, but I wouldn't have minded you breaking in with the spare key and visiting our fridge for lunch. Anytime. :)

Susan said...

Thanks, Alli!