Wednesday, March 11, 2009

It tastes like store-bought bread

Something funky is going on with my camera, so I can't post a picture of the most beautiful loaf of bread I have ever made in my life. Not only does it look good, but the texture is fabulous, and it tastes great, too. I ground the wheat myself, and I stirred it and kneaded it by hand because my mixer is broken, my house smells wonderful, and I am so proud of myself. Have you ever had homemade whole wheat bread that made a good peanut butter and jelly sandwich? Now I have. My girls think I am so amazing. For the recipe, click here. (Kellee, I'm sure you can leave out the milk for Luke and substitute something else for the butter.) I didn't think the videos she posted were going to be all that important, but there were a couple of things I learned. First, I have never seen anyone roll out homemade bread dough, but I did it and I do like the results. I also like her idea of making a couple of bread mixes to put in the fridge. That would make a lot less mess the next time around. I just didn't grind enough wheat to do that today.

It really is the closest to store-bought bread that I have ever had from homemade bread. Not to mention that I made it with whole wheat flour. You definitely should try it out. My girls keep begging for more!

4 comments:

JW and Alli said...

You recently gave me a whole wheat bread recipe - which recipe do you like better or is this on the same? Lazy me...I don't want to try 2, I'd rather you do the trying and then tell me. :)

Susan said...

This is a different one, although they are actually a little similar. The first one was probably easier and faster because you let it rise in the pan in the oven and then just turn the oven on, but I think rolling out the dough is supposed to help the texture. This one also added a couple of extra dough enhancers (the vinegar and potato flakes) which helps the texture, too. So, I like them both -- the other one I gave you is easier, this one makes a softer bread. I just need a Kitchenaid mixer for Mother's day. =)

Kristen said...

I'll have to try this for sure. I got a mixer for Christmas and it makes a world of difference when making my Dad's sourdough bread. I have no idea how he did it for so many years without a mixer. I'm truly too lazy to do it otherwise. So I'm doubly impressed with you doing it all by hand. Way to go! :)

Kim said...

You are rockin' with all this stuff. Way to go!