Thursday, May 14, 2009

The girls tracked back into school yesterday, and Ryan and I have been pretty lonely. It's really sweet and kind of sad to see him look around for them when he wakes up from his naps. I'm glad they had a good day at school, and to be honest it was nice to clean a few rooms of the house and have them stay clean for a while. I guess I need to do a better job teaching them how to clean up after themselves. If you know Nikki then you know what a huge and exhausting task that is. I can't believe how quiet the house is when they're at school. What would I do if I didn't have Ryan? What will I do when Ryan goes to school? I know -- read, crochet, nap, go to the gym, go for a walk, write in my journal, cook in my kitchen that isn't being dirtied by hundreds of drinking cups, enjoy a little solitude. Of course I can always volunteer at school when I get to missing sticky fingers and interrupted sentences. I was just thinking yesterday that my routines are always changing. My life is definitely not stagnant, and I'm so happy about that. That's part of the challenge and excitement of motherhood, I think. Something new is always happening.

4 comments:

JW and Alli said...

When Ryan is in school you will be there when your kids leave in the morning, you'll be there when the kids get home in the afternoon, you'll be there when your kids are sick, you'll be there when your kids track-out. You'll magnify your callings and give service. I know you'll do those things. It won't be a vacation - still plenty of house cleaning, laundry, and grocery shopping. Sorry, you made it sound so boring and almost too easy to stay home, but there is so much good to DO and GET from being home. My sister recently said she feels like she should get a job when her youngest goes to kindergarten. She isn't going to - but I felt like screaming "NOOOOOO". The world paints a picture of being a stay at home mom as non-productive. But it is far more important than any job. You know with the unemployment rate going up I heard a recent solution - all women stay home and that will open up LOTS of jobs. It sounds cruel at first, and I know in many situations, but definitely not all, some moms need to work. I think it is a huge problem in our society that more importance is not put on Moms being in the home.

I know you didn't mean that your job isn't important. You're right, something new is always happening.

Phew! I just had a surge of passion, sorry for the long comment! :)

Susan said...

Wow, Alli, that was a Captain Moroni-esque response. You're completely right, and I didn't mean to make it sound like I begrudge being home. I think I was just missing my girls this morning. I guess my list of things to do on my own does sound a little boring, but I told Nate the other day that it's a good thing I got married early because I have a lot of old maid potential -- I'm excited to crochet and read. But you're right that the best part of life is to be doing and creating and giving. And being a stay-at-home mom offers a lot of opportunity for that.

And I think your unemployment solution is a great one! That would solve so many economic and family issues together.

Kim said...

I just have to say that I enjoyed the post & the comments much! DITO!

Kellee said...

I certainly can't add anything better to that either! Hooray for stay-at-home moms!!!