Thursday, May 21, 2009

Shrimp Caesar Salad

This is another recipe that I tried last week that we really liked. I was kind of excited that I ended up making my own Caesar dressing. I think I've taken my first step to becoming a naturalist with all of the stuff I've made rather than bought lately. I even made my own floor mopping solution because I forgot to put it on my grocery list, but it was so simple and worked well enough that I probably won't buy the floor chemicals anymore. Anyway, I digress. This was quick and easy and I liked not having to turn on the oven.

Shrimp Caesar Salad
yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3 cups salad and 2 1/4 tsp. pine nuts)

Dressing:
2 Tablespoons light mayo
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. Worcestershire suace
2 garlic cloves, minced

Salad:
3/4 cup fat-free seasoned croutons
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, cooked and peeled
1 (10-ounce) package chopped romaine lettuce
3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted (whatever, of course I didn't use these last two ingredients)
Chopped fresh chives (optional)

To prepare dressing, combine mayonnaise and next 7 ingredients (through garlic), stirring with a whisk.

To prepare salad, combine croutons, 2 tablespoons cheese, shrimp, and lettuce in a large bowl. Add dressing; toss well to coat. Top with pine nuts. Garnish with chives, if desired. Serve immediately.

4 comments:

Kellee said...

This looks good too!

My friend makes her own dish and hand soap and she says it's tons cheaper than the store stuff. I haven't tried it yet. It's satisfying to make your own things, isn't it?

JW and Alli said...

So, what did the girls eat when you ate this?? If you say they ate the shrimp and lettuce I think I might fall over.

Kristen said...

I use white vinegar and water for cleaning windows and mirrors. It works just as well and anything else, maybe better. What did you use for your mopping solution?

Susan said...

Alli, Nikki did eat it and said she liked it. Hannah liked the salad but refused to admit that she liked the shrimp. I'm not sure what she ate for supper that, but I was really proud of Nikki.

Kristen, I used a mixture of 1/2 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup borax (but you could also use baking soda), and 1 teaspoon dish soap in 2 gallons of hot water. It worked well.