Thursday, May 21, 2009

Quick Chicken Parmesan

I love eating at The Olive Garden. I've only spent one day of my life in Italy, so I don't care if it is authentic or not -- it's delicious. I still haven't found anything better that they serve than the Tour of Italy platter that has lasagna, fettuccine Alfredo, and Parmesan chicken. So when I saw this recipe (I think it was on MyRecipes.com) for a healthier version, I was excited to try it. I just finished up some of the leftovers for lunch. Still delicious.

Quick Chicken Parmesan (yield: 4 servings)

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
1 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano (you know I don't have any fresh herbs, 1 tsp of the dried stuff worked just fine)
1 large egg
1/8 tsp. salt
2 tablesppons olive oil
3/4 cup preshredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup marinara sauce

1. Place chicken breasts flat sides down on a sheet of plastic wrap. Cover with another sheet of plastic wrap. Using a small saucepan or rolling pin, lightly pound breasts to about 1/3-inch thickness (no kidding, if it's too thick the breading will burn before the chicken's cooked through). Pat breasts dry with paper towel.
2. In a bowl, combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and oregano. In another bowl, lightly beat egg and salt. Brush both sides of chicken breasts with egg, then lightly coat with crubm mixture.
3. Warm oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When oil shimmers, add chicken and cook about 3 minutes per side, until golden brown. Sprinkle mozzarella evenly on top of chicken breasts in last minute of cooking. Transfer breasts to serving plates.
4. Meanwhile, warm marinara sauce in microwave or small sucepan for 1-2 minutes. Spoon about 2 tablespoons sauce over each breast. Serve immediately.

3 comments:

JW and Alli said...

To go along with your chicken, here is a Fettucine Alfredo recipe that we LOVE:
1/2 C butter (but I can't use that much, I use 1/4 C)
2/3 C heavy cream
1 1/4 C grated parmesan cheese
dash pepper
1/4 t salt (I omit this, I think it is salty enough as is)
Heat butter and cream in medium sauce pan until butter is melted, turn off heat, add parmesan cheese, salt and pepper, stir until blended and fairly smooth.
Add sauce to 1 lb of cooked fettucine noodles, serve immediately.
Fattening, but everyone in the family loves it. :)

Susan said...

Maybe I'll have an Olive Garden night on my night to cook in Yellowstone! Oh wow, that sounds good! I can make a lasagna and add these recipes to the side, and I just might eat it all myself.

Kristen said...

I am LOVING all those new recipes! I get "stuck in a rut" sometimes when it comes to cooking, so I like the new ideas!