Monday, March 17, 2008

Joys of Motherhood

Last Saturday we had a stake women's conference at church, and our Stake President's wife spoke about the joys of motherhood. She said that sometimes we all want/need to be told we're doing a great job, and that she feels like Heavenly Father sends us these small moments of joy in our mothering that let us know we're doing the job we should. She shared several examples that showed what she was talking about and had everyone laughing and crying. It was a really great talk, and I've been thinking about those moments where I have felt that in my own life. It's actually hard to remember a lot of them because I haven't written many down. I know the feeling well, but it's hard to think of specific instances. But I have thought of a couple of them.

One night, maybe it was just before Christmas, Hannah and I were going out together. We were trying to decided what we wanted to get for someone at the store, and she said, "I just love giving things to other people to make them happy. It just makes me feel so joyful." That was a moment where my heart surged with joy, and I thought that maybe I have been doing something right.

I love how snuggly Nikki is in the mornings when she first wakes up. She reminds me of myself in that it is really hard for her to get going. So, while she normally gives great hugs in the morning, one day last week while she was snuggling up with me she got the sweetest smile on her face. And I just felt so much love for her and was so grateful to have her as my daughter. It was a great reminder that I love being a mother and this really is the most important role I can fill.

Well, that's a couple that I can remember off the top of my head. I'm going to start taking better notice and recording them in my journal more often, so I'll be able to remember them.

4 comments:

Kellee said...

That's great to see little moments as compliments from heaven. I like that. At our women's conference a few weeks ago, we had a fabulous speaker too. She wrote a book called, "Martha, Mary, and Me". It's one of those books I have in line to read soon. She gave some great insights on being a woman today. Her talk was fantastic on the subject so I'm sure the book will be great too. If you want, I'll mail it to you when I'm done.

Kristen said...

The Judd's were in our ward before it split last summer. He was actually our Bishop. I'm so envious that you guys get them b/c they are so awesome!!! It sounds like a really wonderful meeting. That's such a great thing to think about. I'm always inspired by women like that, who I really look up to and admire as being good mothers and having good families. I always feel more reassured about myself and my kids through these women because I feel like I'm a lot more normal than I give myself credit for. :) Thanks for sharing and for a good reminder today!

Kim said...

So true! Thanks for the reminder. It reminds me of Pres. Eyring's talk on remembering & writing down how we see the hand of the Lord in our lives daily. Josh is so good at doing that. When I do it, it helps so much. I needed that as I feel like I'm a grouch half the time b/c I'm so sleep deprived right now. Thank you, Susan!

Susan said...

Yes, Kellee, that sounds like a great book. I would love to read it.

Kristen, I think we did get the better end of the deal when we got the Judds. We haven't had much of a chance to get to know them personally since they aren't in our ward, but I always enjoy when either of them speak.

And thanks, Kim, for the reminder of Pres. Eyring's talk. I loved his talk and am still trying to get better at writing regularly. Good luck catching as many naps as you can!