Monday, January 12, 2009

Caution -- This will get stuck in your head

She's so cute, but I warn you that I go around singing these songs all the time. She has been learning these songs at school. The nurse in the ER told me that singing would be good to help her take deep breaths. Well, singing is not a problem for her -- she's always singing something. Can you tell she has pneumonia? We are so grateful she's feeling better.

By the way, what tricks do you use to convince a stubborn 5-year-old to take her medicine? This morning we promised popsicles, cartoons, chocolate, and I don't know what else, and she sat there for 15 minutes before making up her mind to down it. I even told her that if she didn't take it she would have to go to the doctor for a shot. Her response: "I didn't cry last time. I didn't look and I didn't feel it." Great, she's not even scared of a shot.

7 comments:

Kellee said...

I've never heard of any of those songs...very cute! I would never guess she is sick. Glad she's doing better.

JW and Alli said...

Brenna has been terrible about taking her medicine, too. We've bribed and threatened. It's a fight each time. Nikki looks like she's almost ready to be back in school!!! I'm sure its great to see her feeling like singing again. :)

Kim said...

So glad she's doing better! Cute songs. Jayden is the same way...always a song in her head! Yes, she looks deathly ill...aren't meds great?? So glad we aren't literally crossing the plains! The threat of shots works for Jayden...very quickly! Song it in a song...maybe she'll go for it...just a spoonful of sugar...:) Good luck!

Kristen said...

Love the songs!!! Ian & Merry Grace played them over and over this afternoon. Good luck with the medicine. We've tried everything with ours--putting it in a drink, crumbling tablets up in food, bribery, threats, everything. We just had this problem with Merry Grace and the only thing that worked was telling her that Uncle Adam was going to take it instead of her. Apparently reverse psychology is in full force with her. :) Give her a year or two and I feel sure she would have gladly handed it over to Uncle Adam. Glad Nikki is feeling well enough to sing. :)

Chris and Molly said...

hey suze, I'm glad to hear Nikki is feeling better, that's good that she sings a lot, maybe she'll be the next Julie Andrews! love her! well a trick I learned from my grandad was well, i don't know if her meds are liquid or sold, but mama used to crush aspirin tablets in a spoonful of honey, and we would eat it w/ honey - but that was 'back in the day' so i don't know if it will help, but it worked for us as kids . . .

Susan said...

I'll have to remember that honey trick -- I wonder if she would go for it. Chocolate seems to be working the best so far. And an ice cream cone last night. The other day Nate told her he had a special treat for her after she took her medicine. It still took her a few minutes to get it down, but then she expectantly ran over to him. He gave her a kiss on the cheek and said, There you go. The look on her face was priceless -- she was SO disappointed. He was very lucky that he was just kidding and actually had brought home a bag of Hershey's kisses.

Eileen and Chuck said...

Once when Greg had scarlet fever, we were desperate to get him to take his medicine and NOTHING could coerce him. So we sent him off to his room, and Chuck & I prayed. A few minutes later he came in and said he was ready to take it--and we never had any more trouble with him and medicines.