Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Snow day!

This was our attempt at sledding. We have a great hill behind our house, but it didn't seem to matter. For future reference, the lid to a plastic storage bin does not work well as a sled. I guess it's pretty obvious that we don't usually get all that much snow. We got pretty close to 6", and the girls went out three different times to play. It was too powdery for a snowman, so they're hoping it will work better today.

While I wait for that video to upload, I guess I can type up a few things that have been happening. Nate worked from home yesterday because of the snow, and I really enjoyed it. He wasn't very productive because of the slow connection getting onto his computer at work, but the girls were very good about not hanging on him and letting him work. I think the roads are probably more dangerous today because of the refreeze overnight, but he had to go in.

After Nikki got over her sickness, Ryan got it. It was so sad. Last Friday I took him in to the doctor and he had an ear infection along with some isolated crackles in one side of his lungs. On Saturday morning Nate let me go back to bed after feeding Ryan, and later I woke up to hear him actually crying. He had been so worn out and feeling so miserable during the week that he had only been able to wimper. I've never been so relieved to hear a baby cry. He's doing so much better now. Again, I am so grateful for modern medicine. If we lived 200 years ago, we could very easily have lost two of our children this month. It's amazing that these sicknesses really could be so serious, but with the medicines we have today they can clear up in just a few days.

Some good news: I'm back to my pre-pregnancy weight. The bad news: it sure doesn't look like it. Gravity works. Why did Newton need an apple to fall on his head to figure that out? He could have just looked at his mother. The good news: I've been exercising regularly for the last three weeks, even when I've had sleepless nights with sick children. My goal is to go shopping in May/June for a whole new wardrobe and have it be a good experience. The day after Christmas we went clothes shopping for Nate, and it was so unfair. He took stacks and stacks into the dressing room and everything fit! Okay, there was one shirt that he didn't like how the collar fit his neck. I had done the same thing last October, and out of the stacks and stacks that I took into the dressing room I ended up liking one shirt. So, this year I will not be wearing the maternity clothes that I wore last summer. I will like what I see when I open my closet doors!

7 comments:

Kellee said...

Love the attempt at sledding! You guys got more snow than Alli and have a lot more than us right now. Crazy! The kids do love it, don't they?
Glad your kids are better. Sorry Ryan got it. We had two babies life flighted in our ward a week ago for illness (guessing it was RSV but don't know). Modern medicine is wonderful!

Chris and Molly said...

wow, susan I'm glad the kiddos are better. yes we got about 6 inches yesterday in greenville, chris and i were calling around trying to find friends that had a sled and/or knew a good sledding place in town, but had no luck. and what can i say, being a woman really has its setbacks, don't ever try to compare your weight/exercise routine w/ your husband's, its torture. Chris and i started doing the same workout back in july and within like 4 weeks he dropped like 16 pounds and since then like 20 the only change he made to his diet was quite drinking sodas, now, 6 months later, i have lost about 12 pounds, but have had to seriously diet along with it. no fair. and i'm still not at my target weight. good for you for exercising, its not easy! I can't imagine how much harder it will be after i have kids, i'm trying to lose as much as i can before pregnancy, we'll see . . .

Kim said...

For the record, cookie sheets don't work well for sledding either...luckily Jayden got a real one for Christmas.

I'm right there with you on Newton's theory. He was a genius eh?

Glad your baby's are better!

JW and Alli said...

Did the snow stick to the roads and sidewalks up there? Our street, driveway, and sidewalk were all clean of snow. It was perfect - no shoveling, just playing!

Way to go on the pre-pregnancy weight. That was quick!

julie said...

I REALLY don't like sickness. I am finally getting a little bit better. I am so sorry little Ryan is sick. That is my biggest fear right now is for my little one to get sick.

We should nominate ourselves for the TV show "What Not to Wear" and get the $5000 to spend in NY. What do you think? We could play the best friends growing up reunion card.

Kristen said...

We loved the snow too!! It was so fun!!! We tried the storage container lids the last time we had snow--not good. :)

Oh, you are so right about gravity. It took me no time to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight, but the weight sure was in different places than I was hoping. If I could just shift it around a little... I was actually thinking about the hair loss thing too. It just seems like overkill. Between the weight, the hormones, gravity, sickness, and pain, we have to lose our HAIR too? Come on now!!! What can I say, though. I sure love my babies. :)

Susan said...

Julie, if they brought a video camera to my closet, we would win the shopping spree for sure! You know I can't pick out clothes without you! I've actually been pondering that issue for my shopping trip in the spring. I'm going to have to recruit someone to come with me for advice. Want to fly out for that? =)