Thursday, November 05, 2009

Encouragement


Back before the sun took so long to come up in the morning, I used to go jogging at 6 am. Sometimes this guy would come flying by me as I puffed up a hill. As I struggled to manage a "Hi" during one of my dramatic exhales, he would give me a "Good morning" as if he was sitting at the breakfast table rather than sprinting through the neighborhood. He always amazed me. Today I was beginning the ascent of the last hill of my run (we live at the top of the neighborhood so no matter which way I go the end is always uphill) when I saw him waiting at the bus stop with his kids. I didn't realize it was that same guy until he called out as I went by, "Keep running!" I kind of laughed and said, "This hill is killer." He told me, "You'll get used to it." Then I managed to run up the very hill that I have walked up all week long.
I have been surrounded my whole life by people who lift me up and encourage me to do more than I think I can. I am grateful for Mr. Sprinter and all the other people who have ever believed in me along the way.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I love this story!!! I think it has so many applications to everyday life. Thanks for sharing.