Monday, November 23, 2009

Friends and Family Traditions

It's getting late, and I want to read a little more before I go to bed. I actually got into a book today that I've been trying to read for a couple of weeks but haven't had time to sit down for it. And after I got into it I put it down to finish the laundry! I was so proud of myself. Anyway, yesterday I didn't get to post because we were pretty busy during the day and then some friends invited us over for dinner. It was really fun, and I am grateful to have good friends.

I am also grateful for family traditions. I'm too tired to make the post that I really should about this one, but we think a lot about traditions during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. However, they are important throughout the whole year. We have traditions surrounding birthdays, summertime, Sundays, Halloween, snowfalls, vacations, and thousands of other occasions. They are all important and help define who our family is and what we do. My aunt Nell sent me an email of my Grandma White's potatokin (sweet potato/pumpkin) pie, which is one of my all-time favorite holiday recipes. It just wouldn't be Thanksgiving and Christmas without that. I'm even going to try to cook my sweet potatoes this year instead of using the canned stuff. I've only done that once before and I ended up with lumpy pies. Here's crossing my fingers. We might have to take a quick trip to Nell's house Thursday night if it doesn't work out!

1 comment:

Kellee said...

I'm going to ask her for some other recipe's I've been telling my kids about. I can't wait to try this pie recipe!