Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Planning Ahead

For a couple of different reasons this year we decided that we want to have a homemade and service Christmas. Carrying two house payments is one of those reasons, but we also just want to have Christmas be what it should be about this year. There is no way a kid is going to be more excited about the Savior's birth than the magic of Santa. Having said that, our girls still expect him to bring roller skates. I tried to reason with them that roller skates aren't homemade, but they said if the elves make them then they are homemade. I still have some work to do there. I'm just not sure how to handle that. If we didn't have aforementioned second house payment I'm sure I would just get them. But Nate and I agreed that we're not spending anything on presents this year. And then I also keep thinking that this is our chance to be done with Santa forever. Ryan doesn't ever need him. We can put presents under the tree on Christmas Eve that the kids have never seen before, and we can fill stockings, and we can claim that it all came from us because we love them more than any fluffly old man hidden in the Arctic. But anyway, besides the Santa issue Hannah and Nikki are really excited about it. They have made their little lists of things they are going to make for everyone else in the family and service coupons that they are going to give. It is really sweet watching them get excited about making things for others. We have Kellee's family to get presents for this year on my side of the family, and it has been so fun coming up with ideas of what we can do for them. Kellee, just don't let your kids be expecting too much because we all know how crafty I am! Except I did just make a tree topper out of twigs and branches that I hotglued into a star shape, and I think it looks pretty good. We have plans for making cinnamon applesauce ornaments for our tree. I have made lists of decorations and food and gifts to prepare, and I'm grateful I started before Halloween. It's going to take a while, but I think I can really have the bulk of the work done by the end of November and then enjoy the month of December. So, today I'm grateful that for once in my life I didn't procrastinate. I have planned ahead! And I think we can make this a beautiful Christmas season that will fit perfectly into our holiday budget that went MIA.

2 comments:

Kellee said...

I've been thiking about this for the past couple of years myself. I'd like to just give up on Santa sometimes. Shiloh has alwyas told her kids about Santa and they are really cute about it. They know that all their friends believe in him and they keep it a secret for them, but they know the real deal. They don't seem bugged about it at all.

I think it was Gary and Elizabeth who said they think it's sad that Santa gets all the praise every year.

I did an all homemade tree last year for our dinner with friends and it was really easy. When I call you about the link issue, I'll tell you about some really easy ornaments.

Kim said...

SO FUN! We need to do that, but honestly, I think I'm too lazy to come up with the ideas & follow through this year. I wish the kids would understand if we put a big bow on the house, the kitchen & the dog. Maybe they would....