Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Laughter

Tonight I'm thankful for a sense of humor. I remember Sister Hinckley said something to the effect that there are times in life when we can either laugh or cry, and crying gave her a headache. Well, I don't feel like bringing on a headache, so I'm just going to laugh at myself.

This morning, I cracked my egg over the counter instead of the frying pan, so it dripped down in the burner as I was trying to get it to the pan. Then I got caught in the thick of things, and I never cleaned it up. So tonight when I started preparing dinner for our company I remembered it when my boiling water started to smell like it was burning. Oh well, just open the kitchen window. Then I went to pick up the sister missionaries while the rice finished cooking on the stove and Nate oversaw the last minute preparations. When I got home with the missionaries, something was much more burnt than just what was on the burner. Well, there went the rice -- at least the bottom layer of it. A few blackened grains in the bowl never killed anybody. Then I went out visiting with the missionaries, and as they didn't have any specific appointments set up we just tried to find someone home that we could stop by and chat with for a few minutes. At the last house, the nice lady told us no thanks and we tried to leave. But it was dark and raining and I'm a terrible driver. I drove over this huge log that was lining the driveway and got it wedged under the car. We had to go back to the door and ask the woman if she had maybe a broom or something to push it out with (we didn't know at that time how big it was). Since it wasn't moving I got the jack out of the trunk and she took over and got the job done. I pulled it out from under the car, and a few wet and muddy minutes later we were on our way. That woman must surely be shaking her head in her sleep tonight. Just another chain of events to add to my long list of most embarrassing moments.

5 comments:

Kellee said...

I love your embarassing moments!

Susan said...

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the part where I dropped the salad dressing bottle on my plate at dinner, and rice and salsa flew all over me.

Kellee said...

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Yep. You're Bob's daughter alright :)

Kristen said...

Oh Susan!!! Thanks for the laugh and for making me feel better about the goofy things I do! :)

Kim said...

I do need to laugh more at myself rather than getting frustrated. You're great, so are you moments!