Monday, November 02, 2009

Halloween


I have neglected the blog lately, and there is a lot to catch up on. But for now, since family night is on the way, I'll just put this up. Halloween was actually really fun this year. It's never been a holiday I really cared for, but our Halloween chain gave us lots of good times.
***So now that I have a few more minutes, I'll try to list out some of our Halloween activities. Everyday we would do an activity that we had listed on our countdown to Halloween chain.
decorated gingerbread haunted houses (with graham crackers instead of gingerbread, and I forgot to make the icing chocolate, so they thought it looked more like a Christmas activity than Halloween)
Caramel apples
Orange Rice Krispy treats
ghostly marshmallows
spider pops
ghost pops (since we already had the lollipops)
witch coloring page
Halloween shaped Jell-o jigglers
painting pumpkins
carving pumpkins
read a spooky ghost story (it was a children's story, but it made me pull my toes up close to Nate when I went to bed that night -- it was called The Tailypo)
made paper scarecrows, but they never finished those so this was a flop
decorated Halloween cookies
were going to go to the pumpkin patch, but that day ended up a little too crazy
made paper Halloween decorations to hang up
tie dyed jack-o-lantern T shirts
Halloween-themed paper dolls (I thought they might be bored by this but they had fun making Frankenstein into a princess with skeleton legs and other crazy ideas)
Halloween lunch -- pizza mummies, apple bites, and a melon brain
and of course, trick-or-treating!
There were a few more things, but I can't think of them and don't have pictures so they must not have been all that exciting. It made the holiday so much better. I never have liked the scary decorations and costumes. The cute pumpkins and ghosts are fun, but I just don't get why people like to be scared. Well, I do like the story "Where's my Golden Arm." I found that on the internet because I couldn't remember all of it, and Nate keeps saying "You've got it!" all the time making me laugh. We had a record of that story when I was little. Anyway, I think we may have to make this a tradition because we all had fun with it.

3 comments:

Kellee said...

You did A LOT more for Halloween than we did. Holy Cow! We didn't think to do any of that. I'll have to remember next year.

Oh...what's the mellon ? with claw marks ? all over it?

Susan said...

That was our Halloween lunch -- melon brain (a peeled watermelon with slits cut in it), apple bites, and pizza mummies. I think I'll add some of what our activities were to this post.

Kim said...

WOW! What more can I say? Halloween is my least fav holiday, but maybe that would help me enjoy it a little more. Where did you get all those ideas?? Can you compile a list, so I can be on the 'good mom' list next year?